Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Boredom

I have been having an issue lately. I keep second guessing my plan. Once I decided to do my photoshoot, I made a plan--I stuck to the plan and I had purpose in my training.

Then that was over. And everyone is starting to train for shows in our gym, and I just feel a little lost. Going through the motions, lifting pretty heavy, running fast, hill walking whatever. No plan, just aimlessly wandering. So, I have researched some new fitness avenues, I am my most happy when I have a plan to follow and quite frankly, I am so busy at work that the thought of thinking for myself and my clients is just more than I can do right now. I need someone to boss me around, someone besides Jon because he always bosses me around and I sometimes want to punch him in the throat (heheh just kidding!!! Don't tell him that girls!!! lol)

I looked into crossfit, even got Big Jon's blessing. It's expensive and I have mixed feelings about it. I looked into kickboxing. OEMGOSH I want to go so so bad. It's expensive. I looked into training for a race...like a 10k...and then I got tired just thinking about it.

I found Nia Shanks online a long time ago and have been following her stuff. I really like her philosophy of training like an athlete, simple nutrition guidelines and body acceptance. Her vibe is good! So I emailed her and got a personal response back right away with a recommendation of an ebook she thought I would like.

She asked my goals and to be honest I can't exactly say what my goals are other than I want to stay at my level of leanness. I am always interested in a bit leaner, if it is something I can achieve while living in moderation and not being overly obsessive, which equals crazy town for me. Call it vanity, keeping up with the Jones's or whatever, I am extremely proud that I have gone from 30% to 12ish% for my show and now maintain year around between 15-17%. That is my number. That is my comfy zone and I am so proud of it. Some goals, might take me to a higher percentage for an amount of time--for instance adding significant muscle to my frame, I'd need to eat above maintenance calorically, which inevitably would cause some fat gain as well as muscle gain. No bueno. I'd rather keep these guns forever than trade em for newer ones at the expense of adding even a couple pounds of fat.

I really want to get to those 16 pull ups for the year, and quite honestly, as I type this I just realized I am still only at 8 consecutive--and beings that I will be taking November and December off of the gym, I only have 3 months to accomplish this goal. (oh freak, I hope it wont take me too long to get back to those pull ups after surgery.)

So this ebook I purchased is a 15 week muscle sculpting program. The first month I am doing two lower body work outs and two upper body workouts. This is giving me THREE days off each week. OMGosh I haven't taken this time off from the gym since I started in 2010. But, the plan works. the process can work for me if I stick with it, just like anything else. So I have committed for the 15 weeks and I am going full force. On two of the three off days I will do some active type recovery though, like today a brisk hour long hike at the lake and on Thursday a friend and I will do a bit (20 minutes tops!) of running together. Next week, I may just take the dog for a walk around the block. Nothing is set in stone and my goal is to not do anything to strenuous as I want my nutrition going to my "Sculpting" and not being used to fuel some crazy cardio sessions.

My first workout was fun! I did barbell shoulder presses, (75 pounds) sets of 6 pull ups (although I only did two sets unassisted), dumb bell chest press (30# each), bicep curls (20#) tricep extension (15# they are so hard for me!), lateral raises (25# I am the boss there mama!!!) I think that was it. I cooled down for 5 minutes on the treadmill and was out of the gym in exactly 55 minutes.

I am anxious about this because although working out has always been my happy spot, I am excited to have a plan, that I don't have to think about. I just go in, sweat it out doing what I am told and then I get to have a little more time to think about client programming, my hubby, children, school for them that is starting soon, and less stress while juggling all the things that we as moms juggle.


My nutrition will remain the same, because like Nia--I keep things simple. I like 5 or 6 meals a day--so I will continue with that keeping it clean and fresh as much as I can, while still making room for those small indulgences that make life fun and enjoyable with friends and family.... ex...Mexican lunch with my family today where I had chips and salsa and then a steak taco salad. Not on my plan by any means, but I enjoyed it and then went on with my life :)

Anyway, I am always interested in what other people in fitness are doing so I thought I'd share what I am up to. I expect some pretty serious strength gains over the next 15 weeks as I prepare my body to undergo a very extensive, YET SO SO exciting surgery!

TELL ME!! Do you like to have a plan, or do you like to just go into the gym and pick something to do for the day?

No comments: