Monday, August 5, 2013

Tummy Tuck Prep-A-Ration


OEMGOSH. I am freaking out excited right now!!!!!!!!!!!! Those of you who have been following me for a while know what a bat shiznit crazy woman I am over that lower stomach of mine and the skin that sagggggs for days from carrying my beautiful little monkeys.

I am being really brave again, (like how I always remind you of that?!) and sharing my personal struggle here with you, knowing that there are other people out there just like me who struggle in this way as well.

We have talked before about how hard I work. How healthy I try to be, both nutritionally, fitness wise, mentally and spiritually. I have ran a half marathon, done a figure show, mastered 8 pull ups in a row, bust out push ups like no body's business and I have a really nice figure. The thing is, no matter how hard I work--how lean I get, I still have that stomach pooch at my lower stomach that causes me some serious anxiety. While I know some people look at these pictures and think I am cray cray--this is a real struggle that has been hard for me to accept in life.

I have been consulting with several different offices in Utah and in Idaho for a surgeon to do this surgery for me. After some research, some consulting over the phone and online, some recommendations, and going with my gut feeling--I have decided to book my appointment for surgery. The space is secure. It is mine! I am so excited to have this procedure.

When I first sent my pictures in, they were like..."uh, you are going to have to send different pictures," (because they couldn't tell the skin issue from what I sent), so I retook these as directed and they understood better :).





I have talked at length in my blog series on body image issues and insecurities and I practice and preach accepting your body for what it is. I look at these pictures of me, and surprisingly all I see is that I just want that skin off. I think my body looks good. It is fit, I am grateful for it--but I want that skin gone so that I can stop pulling/tugging/imagining it gone every single time I walk by a mirror.

A lot of thought and prayer has gone into this decision. This is something that I really want and I am truly grateful that my husband is supportive of me wanting to look and feel my best and is ok with me spending this money and having this surgery.

As I did research online I could find HARDLY any stories (like blog stories) of people like me. Who are fit--16% ish body fat and want their skin gone. I don't want liposuction, I don't want to weigh less. I want nothing different than what I have right here in this moment than that saggy skin gone. A lot of people go into surgery assuming they will look and feel completely different afterwards. I am prepared to look just like me-- with a tight stomach that doesn't sit on top of every single pair of shorts or pants I own.

I do not advocate people to have surgery. I advocate people to be their most fit, healthiest self. I want people to love themselves for who they are and what they are capable of doing and to not take advantage of their blessings. I am honoring that. I want you all to know that I think for some, like myself, surgery is necessary to make themselves look and feel better. I work my butt off everyday and strive to be healthy and fit, but the fact that I can't physically take care of this skin by doing my reasonable amount of crunches, by eating clean, by doing a normal amount of cardio-- PISSES ME OFF! Oh it makes me so mad I could scream from the roof tops that this is bull shiz.

And I am having surgery to cut it off and I CAN NOT WAIT.

I will continue to keep you updated, as surgery is not for 3 months. I plan to eat clean and in moderation like I always do. I have cut my training back to 4 days a week oppose to 5, in fact I started a new strength training guide that I will blog about soon too. I just plan on getting strong as shiznit until Novemeber to help my body be ready for the surgery and the recovery that comes with it. I will be out of the gym at least 6 weeks post surgery-could be longer and for the first time in my life, I am not scared or nervous. Just excited. Just happy. Just can't wait to wear my surgery cap and gown and get this thang goin!!!
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.8

8 comments:

Jen said...

I can totally relate! I was overweight my entire life and in college lost 85 lbs and have kept it off for 10 years through 2 pregnancies, however I have loose skin in my upper and lower stomach area that drives me crazy! I work out and eat extremely healthy and know I have abs under there! My skin to me is a constant reminder of the heavy me, and I too want it gone! I struggle with spending the money when I have 2 young boys (3 and 5 months) but my husband, like yours is supporting me in going ahead with this as it will make me feel so much better about myself. I commend you for sharing your body image issues so candidly with us all! I know so many women can relate. I look forward to hearing about your surgery and seeing your recovery process. I am hoping to have my tummy tuck next summer! Good luck!

Teri said...

Thanks for commenting jen! Congratulations on your 85 lb loss there are not a lot of us that can even begin to understand and Appreciate that incredible journey you have been on. You should be very proud. I understand how infuriating that stomach skin can be, and I also understand putting off the surgery or even not doing it in account of being a mom, finances, and many other reasons. I'm glad you will follow my journey so you can decide if it the right thing foe you and your family. I'll try to be brutally honest (as usual!) And give you the good the bad and the ugly of this cosmetic surgery! Xoxx PS...I'll be blog stalking you now I love blogger friends!

Rachel said...

I am actually really glad I found you! I too am a very fit mom of two children living with the disappointing results. I am THIS close to making the decision to have a TT in a week, leaning toward a full TT with hernial and fascia repair. May I ask what type of TT you are considering (maybe you did mention that and I missed it) and why?

Teri said...

Hey Rachel! Its rough what those babies do to our bodies huh? Although, mine wasn't good before them when I wasn't super proactive about my health and figure ;) I have only consulted online with my drs office-so at this point I have planning a full tummy tuck. That's as far as I know until consult which will be day before surgery because I'm traveling 6 hours for the surgery. I dont intend to have any lipo or anything however, as one office recommended. I can lower body fat as far as I see it on my own, just cant get rid of that dang skin! I am under the assumption that my full TT will come with them tightening up my abs but I admit I'm not an expert in this area. Id love to email and pick one another's brains if you are up for it! Fit chick mom at hot mail.com :) thanks for your comment!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Tummy Tuck is one of the best choice to reduce a fat for women's for after a pregnancy tummy tuck plastic surgeon chicago

Unknown said...

It’s nice to know that you’ve done a lot of research before pursuing a tummy tuck surgery. It’ll be easier to prepare yourself for the treatment when you know how things work from the pre-operative checkups to post-operative needs. How are you now? Hope you’ve had a successful surgery! :)

Carol Baker

Unknown said...

Excess muscles and fat that one gains through pregnancy is the hardest to lose. Fortunately, there are many ways to lose those extra bulk nowadays; and one of those is the tummy tuck procedure. But before going for a tummy tuck, it is best to research about it first. This will help you in weighing the pros and cons of undergoing the procedure. Anyway, how are you doing now? I hope you were satisfied with the result, and was able to continue maintaining your figure afterwards.

Byron Brewer @ Knight and Sanders