Saturday, December 7, 2013

Holiday Cheer--How the Fit Chick Mom does Holidays NOW!

Hey friends,
I have been the worst blogger and honestly, its because there isn't a lot new to say that I haven't covered in the past four years on this blog. But it dawned on me--that it doesn't really matter. I can't remember all my old posts and neither can you! Plus, a lot of new people come my way and as an advocate for health, fitness, and happiness I should be doing better by bringing you more blog posts. I miss posting too so I am going to do my best to hop back on my wagon. Plus, I have a book forming in my mind. It's been there for a year or so now but I am really seeing the possibilities more brightly--and as a great friend once told me, if you are going to write--you have to start writing. So operation write that book is starting, like, next week.

So there's that tid bit.

I am recovering very well from surgery. Extremely pleased with my results, and feel so blessed to be young enough to really enjoy the results for a long time. I have a post, a deep, insightful post that goes into the why I did this--and goes into what  I recommend for others to do, my answer may surprise you to be honest. I look forward to sharing this very personal, very important( to me) journey with you and what I have discovered in the 2.5 weeks since surgery.

It is the holiday season! I love October, November and December! Love Love Love them. I love fall and the changing colors, the weather cooling off, wearing sweat shirts and peeling them off half way through the day. I love the first snow fall, the beauty and serenity of it. I love the magic of Christmas. I love to remember our Savior and the sacrifice that he made for each and everyone of us. I love a nativity scene. I love sweet Christmas music. I love celebrating with my kiddos and with our loved ones. Buying presents, receiving presents, Christmas cards, and Christmas wishes. It all makes my heart very happy.

It isn't a secret that there was a time in my life I DREADED these months for other reasons though--the FOOD reasons. I used to let it stress the crap out of me, if I am being honest. I would constantly think about how I could "make it through" without gaining weight. What I needed to do extra in the gym to balance things out. I always always always would feel fat no matter what I ate. I can't remember those young years with my kids so clearly, if I am being honest. It breaks my heart I was so wrapped up in body image issues and food issues that I couldn't even relax enough to be in the moment with my family.

Do you realize how ridiculous this is? How ridiculous it is that I couldn't even enjoy a treat my sweet friend brought me, because it might make me fat. Couldn't enjoy making treats with my babies (cuz they were then), because I couldn't control myself without eating so much I was sick? Well, if you don't realize how ridiculous and sad--very sad--it is, stick with me friends. I can show you another way.

Life is meant to be enjoyed and sometimes, for me the enjoyments come and are more rich with a treat. I want to let you in on a little secret--you CAN eat just one. And just one, or two will not make you gain weight. Ok?! Breathe. I promise I am not lying.

I am in a fit, healthy body and mind over the past year and I can tell you what works.
MoDeRaTiOn!
It's so fun. I can eat a cookie if I want it. I can have a piece of what the neighbor brings and tell them I love it, for real--because I know I love it. I can say it without lying (I can't tell you the number of things I have thrown away and not eaten. ridiculous--that being said, I don't eat things I don't love. Pumpkin pie--no thank you. Chocolate chip cookie, YEA BOY! I'll have two.

Here is what I do that works!
I eat a healthy breakfast of oatmeal and eggs every day. Everyday. I add blueberries and nuts a lot of times--but if and when I know I have something special planned for the day, I just eat the plain stuff. I save my exciting extras for later when I know I will want that roll, or that cookie, or whatever it is.

I eat every 3 hoursish. On days where I know I will be splurging I try to cut out a carb from a meal (Example:I have a salad instead of chicken and a yam for lunch).

I eat only what I like. But I try a lot of things, without guilt. I rarely overeat anymore in the past year to be honest. I typically eat so clean and healthy that things that aren't--don't appeal to me as much. I promise they grow on you. Your taste buds change and you start to notice just how differently (badly) you feel on junky food--and how good and energized you feel on healthy food.

I don't freak out about anything, food related. Omgosh if I read one more post of someone and their guilt over cookie dough, candy, or anything else I might just whig out. Seriously!! There are real problems in the world!! Real things going on and freaking out over eating too many reeses pieces really tells a lot about you. It says you have some issues you need to work through (I am not judging, I HAVE BEEN THERE. And I am proof you can come through on the other side and be happy in your own skin. That you can eat 2 reeces without having to eat 50 because you wont plan to eat them again for a long time.)

I do try and time most of my carb intake around my workouts (can't wait to get back to the gym...booyah!!!) I find that my body is a little bit carbohydrate stubborn (Which is ok as long as you learn how to work with it!) so as I time them around my training I see good gains in the gym and I feel like they do my body good. I have been known to eat a piece of cake that is leftover from the night before because I don't like to have carbs at night...(well, I don't like to have anything other than complex carbs at night) right after a workout and LOVE on that cake like you wouldn't believe. Followed my a fast absorbing protein shake and then on with my day. Those simple carbs help your body absorb the protein better so HEAR THIS: If you want a treat, and are so caught up in the rules and stress of food--eat your treat right after a workout. Best time of the day to have it, promise.

I drink a gallon of water every single day. I chug that son of a gun if I notice it is 6 pm and I am not done with my water. For some reason, weekends are harder for me to remember. Weekdays, not a problem.

I don't set up rigid rules. I don't have foods I can not eat. I don't think about food constantly. I don't workout extra to make up for something naughty.

I just go through the motions of life, enjoying most days to the fullest--but still having momentary relapses. The biggest thing is that I keep going. Living a fit, healthy, and happy life doesn't get chucked out the window because I ate a little somethin somethin extra, it is part of life that makes it all happy and enjoyable. We can be fit and still have a treat from time to time and I think a lot of people need to hear that. You aren't unhealthy because you enjoy food or enjoy a holiday party or enjoy your kids birthday party. You are just living in moderation. Life can end so quickly and really, when it's put into that perspective I hope people can take an honest look inside and realize how much their is to being the fit, healthy, happy person you want to be.

Tell me: Do you have rigid rules that help you through the holidays? Or do you try moderation in all things?


4 comments:

Kami Satterlee said...

I am a moderation girl as well! I really ask myself what I LOVE more than anything, and then stick to that. I'm not a real sweets girl, but if a bowl of chips and salsa are in front of me I have zero guilt:)I love your rules you follow and think they are perfect for everyone!

Teri said...

Thanks i feel like my rules allow me to still be fit and healthy but live I'm the real world where I don't take a Tupper ware to every party! Oh and have you had Juanita tortilla chips???? Oh em gee. So good!!! My fave!!!!

linds_5 said...

I could just cry reading this, because I know that feeling of mass guilt. When I started working out again last march 2 or 3 days in I made this square and I think I ate the whole damn thing myself. not in one sitting but over 2 days maybe or 1 and a half. Holy crap I felt awful for eating it. Now my perspective has changed and I'm doing a lot better. I don't indulge like I used to but I don't feel the mass guilt for having a cookie. I now know moderation is key:)

Teri said...

exactly! Moderation is key and unfortunatly it is harder to learn than one would think. just gotta keep putting one foot in front of the other. #yougotthis